Group Captain Responsibilities
Group Captains maintain the membership roster for their group and specify the parameters that describe the group and how it operates. They designate Ride Leaders and supervise the posting of group rides.
- Group Captains and Ride Leaders should ensure that the posted leader will attend the ride. If this becomes impossible then an alternate Ride Leader should be designated from the pool of existing leaders for that group.
- If no designated Ride Leader can attend, then the Group Captain should either cancel the ride or post an update as "show and go."
- Use of "show and go" should be limited and only used under rare, unanticipated circumstances.
- If the group is largely regulars who adhere to the posted pace, do not get lost, and know how to fix mechanical problems, then a last-minute lack of a designated leader may not pose a problem.
- If the group does not possess these characteristics - and you should know if the group does or does not - then "show and go" should not be utilized. The ride should be cancelled.
If the Group Captain will not be available for an extended period of time, another member of the group should be installed as temporary Group Captain by the Ride Captain.
These responsibilities have been specified by the Ride Captain.
Gainesville Cycling Club Web Site